Update: Dec 25, 2009
Thanks to those who donated their computers, specifically to my friends at Microsoft & HEABC, as well as Vicki for helping me lug all these computers in the back of our car. That 22 inch CRT monitor must be the heaviest monitor I’ve ever carried in my entire life.
We were able to donate 3 monitors, 3 computers, a fax machine & some other electronic odds & ends.
A shout out also to Mack Flavelle, Brian Yan Muk, & VanCityBuzz for retweeting on twitter! Please contact me if you have more computers to donate after the boxing day – if we have enough interest we can rent a van and go around Vancouver to pickup everyone’s computers!
Here’s the deal:
I’m donating a carload of old computers, monitors, & fax machines to Free Geek Vancouver this afternoon Dec 24, Christmas Eve, at around 1:30 pm. (that’s in about 1 hour – let’s see how “real-time” twitter really is! ;P )
Since I’m going anyways, I’m more than willing to pick up any donations on the way! 🙂
Why are you doing this?
- I love what the non-profit, community-powered Free Geek Vancouver is doing: “Ethical computer recycling” & “Helping the needy get nerdy”!
- It’s a great way to do good this Christmas, & much better than throwing them in a dumpster, landfill, or closet
- Because we all have extra, old computers & accessories lying around. Think of this like a free pickup service!
What Can I Donate?
- Here’s a list of what computer parts they accept, but in general any working/non-working computer, monitor, fax machine, etc works!
- If you want to support this great community-powered non-profit by non-perishable snacks or monetary donations, I can come pickup donations or you can donate online
Here’s a map of my route. If you’re a geek, you can add your location with the “edit” function. Otherwise, just call me @ (778)241-CHUI, leave a comment on this entry, or tweet me @jonchui
I’ve chatted with Free Geek and they’re open to doing this again later, but with their big van. So if you still have donations, but can’t get them by today @ 1:30 pm, just leave a comment so we know for next time!
Merry Christmas Vancouver! – Jon