I love Dropbox.
I remember back in the day I was always looking for the perfect sync solution. Microsoft’s Live Mesh was just starting out when I was an intern there & I was able to test out the Mac Beta’s at the time. Before that, I was using FolderShare & a slew of other synching apps. I even tried my own custom rsync solution one time.
But none of them are as simple & fast to use as Dropbox. Who knows, maybe I just admire Drew Houston & his team so much (you can read about how Drew started Dropbox as a video, because he believed once people wouldn’t realize the problem they had until they saw the solution)
But when I first heard about Dropbox’s new “Camera Upload” feature – namely, the ability to load your device’s pictures onto dropbox when you plug it into your dropbox-enabled machine – I wasn’t too excited. I personally use the free version of dropbox, which starts me @ 2GB of free data, so I knew my photos would easily push me over this limit.
However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out Dropbox is giving away up to 3GB of free storage space (for lifetime too), if you start using Camera Upload!!
The conditions are:
- You get 500 MB of free Dropbox space fore very 500 MB you upload, to a total of 3GB
Here’s how I got it to work on Mac:
- I had a dropbox account. If you don’t have one, feel free to use my referral link: http://db.tt/X142b5E
- After installing the client on my mac, I plugged in my iPhone
- Click “Start Import” and it will automatically import all the photos of your device onto a Dropbox folder called “Camera Uploads”
That’s it! Just sit back, and wait for them to sync with Dropbox’s servers. Every time you upload 500 MB , you’ll get another 500MB added to your account!
Check the dropbox official FAQ if you have any questions: https://www.dropbox.com/help/287
PS. If you want to earn even more Dropbox here are two easy ways:
- For another way to get 1GB of free lifetime space, finish the official Dropbox DropQuest by June 2, 2012. I did it w/ Vicki on a friday night and it took us more than 3 hours (we may or may not have gotten help from the inter web in some parts)
- Invite friends to dropbox using your “referral link”. For example, mine is: http://db.tt/NIXjCqg To get yours, simply go to https://www.dropbox.com/referrals